Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Did you hear that?

  So I am wandering through my house today, attempting to avoid the unbelievable mess that has accumulated while I "try" to organize the mounds of toys my spoiled daughters have, when I heard something echo down the hall.  I couldn't quite place what the sound was but I was quite certain that I had heard it before.  I stepped over a pile of shoes that had been stacked at the bottom of the stairs and strained to listen once more.  The only noise I heard was that of my darling Lexi yelling at her baby sister.  It appears as though Genevieve was looking at a picture Lexi was drawing, which was not an approved behavior according to big sister Lexi.  I was in the middle of explaining to Lexi that her baby sister was only one year old and didn't understand Lexi's self-imposed rules.  As I began to remind Lexi of how big sisters are supposed to help their little sisters, I realized that I had heard the noise again.  I stopped talking and quickly looked around.  Sure enough, there was nothing to be seen, nothing but crazy Meatball, our sweet Pekingese, staring blankly up at me.  As I went back to weeping over my messy house I couldn't shake the feeling that I had heard the noise before, the feeling that I should know what it was.  Just as I felt I may remember, my concentration was broken by the slam of a door and the wail of Genevieve.
   "Unlock this door!" I yelled to Lexi, "you don't want us to take it off again!"  Lexi was in her room, and so was Genevieve, and the doorknob was locked!  I patiently knocked on the door, sweetly explaining to Lexi why the door needed to stay open while Genevieve continued to pound back on the door crying at the top of her lungs.  My attempts of peace were met unsuccessfully with more tears from Genna and a lack of care from Lexi.  As I walked back to my room to get the spare key, I found myself raising my voice, dictating every move I was making in hopes of talking Lexi into following my demand to open the door.  No chance!  I could hear Lexi through the locked door, starting to sing a song she had learned at preschool.  "Alexis!  Alexis, I need you to open this door...if I have to unlock it, you will go straight to bed without cartoons!  Okay...I'm going to get the key...one...two..." There it was again...I heard the familiar noise again echo down the hall that I was beginning to make a commotion in.  As I turned quickly to see what was there, I caught a glimpse of myself in a hallway picture frame.  There it was...the sound I had heard so many times before had finally made it to my own home!  The familiar sound that both sent shivers down my spine and warmth in my heart was the sound of my mother's voice...coming from my mouth! 

No comments: