Popular Posts

Friday, September 12, 2008

An affair to remember

I know I shouldn't feel this way, afterall I'm a happily married woman. But the tingle I get everytime I hear that familiar sound, it sends chills down my spine.
It happens almost every night, when my daughter is in bed, and my husband is off to work. Something that I know I shouldn't indulge myself in, something I shouldn't enjoy so much. Afterall, I spent 27 years of my life, not knowing how this felt, it isn't too late to turn back. What would I do if my husband found out? Would is feelings be hurt? More importantly, would our marriage suffer?
The scent always lingers, even after the delicate moments have passed. The temperature rises as the steam fills the air and my forehead begins to feel damp as the humidity that we have created dances with the wisps of hair that have fallen into my face. I suddenly lose my breath, gasping with the whisper of an "oooh" and an "ahhhh". I close my eyes to relish in the moment, the short moment that will pass as quickly as it came, sending me back to my reality. I have never felt so alive as my eyes reopen to see the most beautiful sparkle fill the room. I find myself longing for the sparkle to diminish only because the anticipation of another night like this fills my head with fantasies that I would only share with the other woman that I know would understand. The other women that spend their days raising children, cleaning their homes, working full time jobs, and wondering at night, "what happened to the girl I used to be".
I brush a hair away from eye and realize that it is time to straighten up, my husband will come home soon and I can't let him find us like this. Locked in a gaze of bewilderment, a gaze full of passion and thankfulness, a gaze that must soon end. I am indebted to this feeling, for it makes me feel free, for that small window of time after the sun has set and the stars have begun to light up the night sky, I am carefree and fearless, without a worry on my shoulders.
I shut the door as he retires for the night, a night to remember, an affair to remember. I get ready to greet my husband when he comes home from work, and dream of the affairs yet to come, the next night that I will spend in my bed, with my Kenmore Ultra Quiet dish washer steaming up the kitchen down the hall, afterall, I am a happily married woman.
yeah, yeah, I know...I'm a dork, but when you used to spend midnight every night cleaning up dishes, you would get this excited about a new dishwasher, too!

No comments: