Popular Posts

Friday, September 12, 2008

Turning blue

I love the smell of fall, and if there was a window in this dark concrete slab of a building, I might be able to steal a small breath of fresh air...fall air. The chill has begun to saturate the wet air and the rain continues to pour down heavily on the ceiling above me. Thud thud thud has replaced the sweet sound of Barry Manilow that had been streaming through my computer speakers!
I've pulled my long sleeve shirt further past my wrists, stretching the sleeves past the point of no return. It has failed to provide me comfort from the non-stop running of the office air conditioning that the men around insist is needed in middle September. I've turned up my space heater, scalding my ankles with it's heat, and am waiting for it to radiate to the top of my body. My ankles begin to sting as the space heater overworks to battle the cool breeze of the air conditioning, but I can envision my toes turning blue beneath them.
I love the smell of fall, and I love the feel of a soft "hoodie". Hot Soup of the day served at the deli down the street, football food on Sunday, and the feel of freezing toes.... for some reason that does seem to fit.
It's almost time to go, so I put my space heater to sleep for the night. I rub my ankles to heal them from their scalding playdate with the heater. I look at my now purple toes and decide, maybe it's time to turn in my sandals for the beautiful chill of fall!

No comments: